What would be a good translation of the word "backstory," specifically when talking about a character in literature? I was thinking предыстория but I'm not sure if it has the right connotations.

• And what connotations "backstory" has? – Artemix May 10 '17 at 16:01

Actualy, предыстория is absolutely fine here. Literally предыстория is something that is before a story (or history). And I cannot remember any connotations that could make it not suitable here.

Предыстория is usually referred to events, not biographies. Here I would suggest something like

прошлое героя (is interchangeable with the other two, герой can be used for shows and literature)

история персонажа (is interchangeable with the other two, персонаж can be used for shows and for literature)

биография действующего лица (interchangeable with the previous two and less common, действующее лицо can be used for shows only).

• персонаж can perfectly be (and is) used to convey the meaning of "movie character" – Quassnoi May 10 '17 at 16:31
  • Seems like you are right here – Manjusri May 10 '17 at 18:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.