Also, is there a difference between "спокойной ночи" and "доброй ночи"?

• related (if not a duplicate) to - russian.stackexchange.com/questions/2694/… – shabunc Jun 13 '17 at 7:38
    You ask one question int the title and one completely different int he body. What is your actual question? – Abakan Jun 13 '17 at 10:06
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because exactly for reasons @Abakan provided – shabunc Jun 13 '17 at 10:27
  • "доброй ночи" is in my experience an obsolete and awkward form, coming from XIX century and earlier literature. However is it more generic, than "спокойной". Say, you friend goes to allnighter party. Suggesting him "calm night" would be like "be loner in that party" or something. While "have a good night" might be seen as living him to decide what "good" means for him. – Arioch Jun 13 '17 at 11:50

What we wish before going to bed is спокойной ночи (good night but to be precise "quiet night"). Доброй ночи ("kind " meaning "good and quiet ") is the same, but to my mind sounds poetically. But perhaps it's personal. The phrase is an abbreviation from

Я желаю вам/тебе спокойной/доброй ночи.

So желаю (чего?)+ genitive case (добрая ночь nominative – доброй ночи genitive).

• Доброй ночи can also be used as a greeting or a goodbye (Доброй ночи, до аэропорта довезёте? or Я пошёл домой, доброй ночи!) while спокойной ночи rather not. – dymanoid Jun 13 '17 at 14:13

usage of Добрый and Доброе depends on the gender of the noun, which this adjective agrees to. For example Утро is of neutral gender (Оно моё утро), so we should use Доброе, but День is of masculine gender (Он мой день), so we use Добрый. Доброй is slightly more complicated, as V.V. already stated, it is in genitive case with feminine noun. To summarize, please take a look at this table

| Masculine | Feminine | Neutral |
Nominative |  Добрый   |  Добрая  | Доброе  |
Genitive   |  Доброго  |  Доброй  | Доброго |

I should note, that usage of Доброго дня, Доброго вечера is allowed, but Добрая ночь is incorrect

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.