I can't seem to find a translation for "everyone's" as in "They took everyone's phones." Is there a word for this?

2 Answers 2

We usually translate "everyone/everybody " either "все" or "каждый" meaning the whole group or each person separately.

Телефоны отобрали у всех.

Каждому дали книгу.

• So there is no single word for the possessive "everyone's" (as in "everyone's car")?
    – casey
    Jun 21, 2017 at 11:07
  • @casey don't you think there is a conflict of concepts here? "everyone's car" is a single car shared by many (town's bicycle). "everyones' phones" are many phones, each one exclusively owned by somebody. Those are different ideas, and I think they are conveyed differently in Russian.
    – Arioch
    Jun 21, 2017 at 16:26
  • @Arioch "Everyone's cars" and "everyone's car" mean the same thing to me (not one car, but many). My question was whether or not there was a single word for them. I know that чей-нибудь is "anyone's" so I was wondering if there was an analog to that.
    – casey
    Jun 21, 2017 at 16:38
  • There is also "no one's" - ничей. There is also "общий" - "common", (like public, shared thing). /// "That everyone's car standing by that tree" ?
    – Arioch
    Jun 21, 2017 at 16:40
  • See, so you say that singular "car" becomes plural "cars" when some certain singular pronoun "everyone's" added... Look, I combine a singular noun with a singular pronoun and in the end I end with a plural noun in essence? This sounds very exotic idea to me, so I think this use of pronouns is exotic thing, specific to English (or maybe all Germanic languages)? I guess in Russian the singular "phone" would not be plural. Uncountable maybe (designated the whole class/concept/category of phones - like "Phone invention changed the world"), but not plural specific real objects.
    – Arioch
    Jun 21, 2017 at 16:43

You don't use possessives in Russian the same way as you do in English. We often express possession by using the genitive case:

teacher's book = книга учителя
John's car = машина Джона

Depending on the context, you can sometimes say "телефон каждого (человека)" to mean "everyone's phone". For example,

Телефон каждого (человека) может быть прослушан. = Everyone's phone can be bugged.

But Russian doesn't use possessives as much as English. For example, you normally say "Я почистил зубы" (= I brushed my teeth.), and not "Я почистил мои/свои зубы."

You often use the structure "у меня/у тебя/у него etc." instead of possessive pronouns in Russian:

У меня болит шея. = My neck hurts.
У неё сломалась машина. = Her car broke down.
У него украли бумажник. = His wallet got stolen.
У меня зазвонил телефон. = My phone started ringing.
They took everyone's phones. = (Они) у всех забрали телефоны.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.