What is the difference between бон вояж and Доброго пути?

My friend is going from city to city (about 10 hours far) I want to wish her a good wish for her journey. Which one is more common and understandable?

Do you understand that "бон вояж" is not Russian but the transcription of French "bon voyage"?
    – Abakan
    Jul 5 '17 at 15:21
  • Yes. But I found it on translator... a lot of languages used to borrow phrases from other languages. A good example is приятного аппетита that basically is semi borrowing of bon appetit (French).
    – Influx
    Jul 5 '17 at 15:31
    @Influx ironically, French tend not to say bon appetit nowadays, also, the very fact that somebody borrowed this phrase does not mean that "bon voyage" also is widely adopted, it's not.
    – shabunc
    Jul 5 '17 at 15:48

Бон вояж is too 18th century. You'll be much better off with Счастли́вого пути́!

Bon voyage (or Бон вояж, whatever) is a French phrase which the majority of native speakers will be very confused to hear - it's just not used. A big amount of people won't even understand you.

Stick to one from following list:

• доброго пути
  • счастливого пути
  • хорошей дороги
  • хорошо вам добраться
  • хорошо вам доехать / долететь

As of @Sergey-Slepov comment, it's very difficult to say whether it was adopted or not just because Russian aristocracy just was able easily to switch to French - and then "bon voyage" of course could be used.

In Russian though to my knowledge it was never widely adopted. Some times it was used with slightly different meaning like here:

enter image description here

In this context, "сделать бон вояж" is to make a nice trip. Here's another example:

enter image description here

Кто в аферисты, кто в пеструшки / Пускается на авантаж / Зато в самой Москве старушки / Желают в Вятку бон-вояж (want to make a trip to Vyashka).

But even in this particular meaning (which, again, is not a wish of a nice trip but rather the trip itself) is obsolete and not used.

It's Vyatka, not Vyashka. Bar is at top of the letter, so it's т.
    – user28434
    Jul 13 '17 at 8:33
  • "Скатертью дорога" еще, в принципе.
    – bipll
    Mar 21 '18 at 11:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.