Is the following correct?

• Whenever в + (винительный падеж) is used to mean something, из is always used to mean the opposite.
  • Whenever на + (винительный падеж) is used to mean something,
    с + (родительный падеж) is always used to mean the opposite.
  • Whenever к is used to mean something, от is always used to mean the opposite.

I.e. am I correct in understanding that в + (вин.) / из, на + (вин.)/с + (род.), and к/от are exact antonyms of each other?

My question isn't about when to use a certain pair (which is complicated, but I believe I mostly have the rules down for that), just whether each is a valid antonym pair, as I have inferred.

I would say "yes", they are valid "antonym pairs", at least I cannot recall any exceptions to the formulated rules. If there are any, they are used very rarely Jul 9 '17 at 18:55
    I came to the same conclusion but I know one case when this is not entirely true: sometimes there is a variation between из and с with no corresponding variation of в/на: пошел в поход, вернулся из/с похода. Jul 9 '17 at 19:27
    @SergeySlepov "Пошёл в поход" -- "вернулся из похода", never ever "пошёл на поход", neither can we say "вернулся с похода". Jul 9 '17 at 20:41
    @Baskakov_Dmitriy, Never say never ;-) "С похода вернулось не больше половины казаков", "Входили в Рим колонны стройные, с похода возвращаясь на ведическую Русь" (Владимир Мегре), "В январе 1740 года вступила в столицу возвращавшаяся с похода гвардия" (Василий Авсеенко), etc. Just google "с похода" and you'll find thousands of examples. Jul 10 '17 at 0:03
    I wonder if "c" can be seen in those examples as fast-spoken or vulgar-spoken degraded derivative from "из". More like like 'tis and it's from full it is
    – Arioch
    Jul 10 '17 at 8:44

As a native speaker, I couldn't find any exception quickly. I can presume that what you have written is true, those prepositions can be called "exact antonyms".

This depends on your definition of antonym. Consider for instance:

К трапу шла ковровая дорожка

От трапа шла ковровая дорожка

Meaning essentially the same.

yep, it is when you looking at the same carpet from opposing (antonym :-D) ends thus in opposite directions :-D
    – Arioch
    Jul 10 '17 at 9:19
  • @Arioch this can be said from the saqme position.
    – Anixx
    Jul 10 '17 at 9:22
    well, physically you do not have to move your body, indeed. But you describe the situation - spread of the carpet - as a virtual movement from point A to point B - or from point B to point A. This ordering of points makes the "virtual" views opposite. Not the situation itself, but the ordering of steps to paint it.
    – Arioch
    Jul 10 '17 at 9:23

Whenever к is used to mean something, от is always used to mean the opposite.

In some meanings, but not all of them. E.g. consider:

Мы должны закончить этот проект к октябрю.

Литий относится к щелочным металлам.

Она носит платья от Кардена.

Note that you can say also:

Она носит платья к Кардену.

But those two would not be the opposite (in fact, in some, somewhat tortured, understanding of the situation, it may actually mean the same thing - that Cardin took part in manufacturing the dresses).

Also, second and third examples also broadly mean the same - classification, even though the former is by chemical properties and the latter is by brand.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.