In Rachmaninov's Vespers, I stumbled upon this line:

Ныне отпущаеши раба Твоего...

Which should mean "Now you dismiss your servant". (It's a quote from Bible, that's how I know.) What baffles me here is the -и ending that I marked in bold. I would be expecting "отпущаешь" instead. Where does that -и come from? Is it just an archaic ending no longer in use? (Since it's a biblical quote, it could very well be.)

P. S.: I don't really know Russian. I understand it just by being able to read Cyrillic and relate to my native language of Czech, which happens to be Slavic as well. Hence I'm sorry if I missed something basic in here.

• in modern Russian it would be much more different "отпуСКаешЬ" – Arioch Sep 7 '17 at 14:41
  • no worries, you got it right ) – shabunc Sep 7 '17 at 14:46
    Thank you :). I'm now quite positive that it's quite an archaic text. There's another line: "яко видеста очи мои", which looks pretty much like a dual, both according what I know about Czech and the nice conjugation table. – Ramillies Sep 7 '17 at 16:56

Yes it's the archaic form. In Old Russian it had been the form for the second person (one that is used with ты) - roughly speaking where we now have шь in modern Russian it was ши. in Old Russian (or Old East Slavic, whatever you name it).

enter image description here

As a side-note, when I was a kid and first time heard Камо грядеши it sounded very exotic and unfamiliar to me, my first thought was even this is, don't know, Japanese or something like that.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.