A colleague of mine asked me to record the text of the prayer for her band to learn. I want to make sure I do it right.

In the words «да святится имя Твое» — is the last letter е or ё?

The liturgical language of Russian Orthodox Church is not Russian but Church Slavonic. Church Slavonic is a codified version of Old Church Slavonic, which technically is not even a direct ancestor of Russian but noticeably influenced Russian.

In Church Slavonic there's no such thing like "ё". Technically «да святится имя Твое» is a valid Russian phrase and the same time a valid Old Church Slavonic. In the latter case it's pronounced with stressed е. If you say it in Russian it's perfectly valid to say "твоё".

Traditionally though it's pronounced as 'твое' by people close to church but not necessarily even knowing Church Slavonic.

A valid Old Church Slavonic phrase is actually "да свѧтитъ сѧ имѧ Твоѥ" with those nasalised [e]'s and a yer. – Yellow Sky Sep 18 '17 at 14:27
    @YellowSky true for Old Church Slavonic, in Church Slavonic nasals were gone. – shabunc Sep 18 '17 at 14:37

In the church they traditionally pronounce it with "е": https://youtu.be/-cueR_3HVR0 (1:25).

By the way, Wikipedia has an entry for this. There you can find several versions of the text (from ancient to modern Russian) with е/ё explicitly marked.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.