I had known "чувак," but recently ran into "норм чувак" and was a bit lost, and neither Multitran nor russki-mat.net helped. It sounds to me like some kind of stoner cri-du-coeur. Could someone explain it, especially "норм"?

Is it a Норм чувак (1) or Норм, чувак (2) (the latter has comma, which means addressing to чувак)?

In a first variant Норм is a short form of нормальный (acceptable, satisfactory, good), the second one is a short form of нормально (it is ok).

So, (1) may be translated as He is good dude in context of mentioning someone. And (2) may be translated as It is ok dude.

BUT! :) When someone chats with you via IM/SMS, then to shorten his/her phrase (or just due to the laziness) comma might be skipped and Норм, чувак may be written as Норм чувак. :) And you can guess this only from the context.

Hope I didn't confuse you. :)

| improve this answer | |
  • @SAH If you with your friend were speaking about the third person, it is (1), if you were speaking about your plans, events in the past, planned shopping and so on - it is (2). – Dmitriy Sep 29 '17 at 10:50
    First meaning never used in regular conversion, unless with всё - Всё норм чувак or Да всё норм чувак in some cases – Dima Rostopira Oct 1 '17 at 17:23

It's a contraction of нормально ("okay, alright"). The phrase means "it's OK dude".

It's the same phenomenon as "totesing" in English (contracting words so that you get "totes", "sis", "appreesh" etc.)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.