What is the correct way to stress the Russian surname Иванов? I have seen both Ивано́в and Ива́нов.

These are two different surnames which are stressed differently. You should stress and pronounce surnames the way the surname bearer does it. – Quassnoi Oct 12 '17 at 12:25

Ивано́в is much more common although some Ivanovs prefer to be called Ива́нов.

There is also the possessive adjective ива́нов (Ivan's): Ива́нов день (Kupala Night).

• No, wrong! "Ива́нов" is not surname, see Arioch's answer! – maestro Oct 15 '17 at 6:30

I would say, if you are sure Ива́нов is a surname - then it most probably not Russian one but some West-Slavic (Bulgarian?).

And even more probable, that Ива́нов was not surname, it was a genitive case of plural of Иван first name.

• Ива́н => Ива́ны => Ива́нов
  • John => Johns => of Johns

UPD by Yellow Sky: Ива́нов can also be a nominative case singular possessive adjective (John's), like мамин, Серёжин, etc. Cf. "Ива́нов день".

West-Slavic (Bulgarian?) Bulgarian is South Slavic. Ива́нов was not surname, it was a genitive case The same applies to Ивано́в as well. – Matt Oct 12 '17 at 15:57
  • @Matt nope, Ивано́в would not be plural genitive from Ива́н in Russian. Apart from Gorbachev-speak. Maybe it will in other Slavonic languages. – Arioch Oct 13 '17 at 10:10
    Nah, I mean it's a possessive adjective. Language and stress don't matter. – Matt Oct 13 '17 at 11:25
    But why only plural? Ива́нов can also be a nominative case singular possessive adjective, like мамин, Серёжин, etc. Cf. "Ива́нов день". – Yellow Sky Oct 15 '17 at 14:43
    Всеволод Ива́нов – mustaccio Oct 30 '17 at 14:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.