I have questions regarding the sentence: "I'm interested in Russian culture, especially in 'The Mighty Handful'".

1. Are names for organizations or groups like "Могучая кучка" indeclinable or not?
  2. Would «Я заинтересован в русской культуре, особенно "Могучая кучка"» or «Я заинтересован в русской культуре, особенно "Могучей кучке"» be correct? Why is it dative case and not accusative (культуру)?

First of all, "Я заинтересован в + Prepositional case" ("в культуре" is actually Prepositional, not Dative) is a business term, that is, you are interested in something because you will get profit from it. The neutral way to translate "I'm interested in X" into Russian is:

"Я интересуюсь + Instrumental case": Я интересуюсь культурой.

or

"Меня интересует + Nominative case": Меня интересует культура.

Then, the names of artistic groups, associations and organizations are written in quotation marks and begin with a capital letter, like this: «Могучая кучка».

And, naturally, such names, like all the proper names, are declined. That is why your sentence can be translated into Russian in two ways:

Я интересуюсь русской культурой, особенно «Могучей кучкой». — Both objects are in the Instrumental case.

or

Меня интересует русская культура, особенно «Могучая кучка». — What was indirect objects becomes subjects here, in the Nominative case.

As you can see, the second variant is easier since no case adjustments are needed. While you are at a beginner level, I'd recommend to use that 2nd variant to say "I'm interested in X".

And remember, if a verb has two or more homogeneous objects, they must be in the same case, not the way you wrote it in the question.

Thank you very much. A small question came up in my mind. Can I use different cases for the same object in one sentence, like for example "Я + something и меня + something", as long as I do not use the same verb or does this sound wrong and I have to split the sentence into two separate sentences?
    – Matriz
    Oct 16 '17 at 8:23
    @Matriz - Yes, you can, if the sentence is compound, that is, having several subject-predicate threads. For example, your sentence from your question can be turned into a compound one: Я интересуююсь русской культурой, [но] особенно меня интересует «Могучая кучка».
    – Yellow Sky
    Oct 16 '17 at 11:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.