Why is it "девяностОлетний", but "сорокАлетний"?

Isn't it like the linking vowels in Russian are only "о" and "е"?

• And двадцатилетний. – V.V. Oct 28 '17 at 4:19

These are the rules for declining composits with the first numeral root. We use the genitive in this case but not a connecting vowel:

Одиннадцать → одиннадцати

Двадцать → двадцати

Тридцать → тридцати

Сорок → сорока

Пятьдесят → пятидесяти

Шестьдесят → шестидесяти

Семьдесят → семидесяти

Восемьдесят → восьмидесяти

Еxceptions: один (однолетний), девяносто (девяностолетний), сто (столетний), тысяча (тысячелетний). In these cases we use connecting vowels.

Sourse: Розенталь, «Справочник по правописанию и литературной правке» (М. , 1978), 37 page, 6 point.

• The second one. – V.V. Oct 28 '17 at 7:07
    What about «миллионолетие», «сороконожка», are they also exceptions? – J-mster Oct 28 '17 at 7:08
    §37 РозентальЧислительное сорок входит в состав сложных слов в двух формах — без соединительной гласной: сорокалетие, сорокадневный и с соединительной гласной: сорокоуст, сороконожка (в этом случае не в прямом значении счета). – V.V. Oct 28 '17 at 7:34
    In other words it's just should be memorized - I mean when a rule have this much of exceptions. – shabunc Oct 28 '17 at 12:10
    This answer only re-states the facts already mentioned in the question. I'd really like to see an answer that addresses the why. And I hope it won't be just "because Rosenthal said so." :) – Sergey Slepov Oct 30 '17 at 17:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.