It seems both words can translate to "department", "college", or "school", and each of those English words refers to some division of a higher educational institution.

How does one distinguish the usage of these two words, especially in the Russian education system?

  • Russian university's "Факультет" is typically smaller than American "School/College" (in the sense of "Division of a University"), but large than "Department". "Кафедра" roughly corresponds to "Department", but often can be smaller/more specialized than it.
    – Alexander
    Oct 30, 2017 at 18:08

2 Answers 2


The "Кафедра" is a part of "Факультет"

This unit, which deals with a deeper study of the issue.

For example, in the physics department there can be a subdepartment of electrodynamics.

(На физическом факультете может быть кафедра электродинамики).

  • one can use "subdepartment" for "кафедра" in such a context, where otherwise the word "department" would be duplicated, that is: in the physics department there can be a subdepartment of electrodynamics
    – d.k
    Oct 30, 2017 at 11:33
  • @user907860 ok. I fixed it. Thank you. Oct 30, 2017 at 12:26

They are pretty much orthogonal.

Факультет is a partition of the body of students; it loosely equates to a major, or a school of a big U. Each факультет teaches a specific curriculum.

Кафедра is a partition of the body of teachers. The same кафедра (e.g. foreign languages, or general physics, or philosophy) teaches students of every факультет which requires it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.