Alright, this might sound stupid but I've been wanting to ask this for a while.

Sometimes simultaneously pronouncing each word separately and quickly is bloody difficult (or rather, weird), so I was wondering if it's ok to combine some of the words. For example,

Can I pronounce В это as вэто?

I'm asking only because, usually I do make a quick pause when pronouncing this kind of sentence and I'm not sure whether that's good or bad.

I think it's perfectly fine not to make a pause there. Unless you want to emphasize, в это is pronounced as 'вэто' or even 'вэта', в то is reduced to 'фто'. Actually, I think most (if not all) prepositions can be pronounced without a pause with это. – Arthur Kazykhanov Nov 14 '17 at 19:07
    @ArthurKazykhanov, make it an answer – V.V. Nov 14 '17 at 20:00
    Interestingly, Russians have the opposite problem when learning German, because glottal stop (Knacklaut) is just not what they are used to. – AlexVB Nov 14 '17 at 21:08
  • "Вэто", "вакно", "вухо" - no pauses at all. – Abakan Nov 15 '17 at 10:38

I think it's perfectly fine not to make a pause there. Unless you want to emphasize, в это is pronounced as 'вэто' or even 'вэта', в то is reduced to 'фто'. Actually, I think most (if not all) prepositions can be pronounced without a pause with это.

| improve this answer | |
  • I would make a small stop before это if I would like to stress it. "Сунь то в это." — "В <small pause> это?! Оно не влезет!" It is a bit like "въэто" or the pause you make before a softening vowel in order not to soften. – Oleg Lobachev Nov 17 '17 at 1:20
    @Oleg Lobachev hence that "Unless you want to emphasize it" part :) To be honest, after trying several times myself, I'm not even sure I can make a pause between В and это. It's either a glottal stop, or no pause at all. As for the <small pause>, I would put it right after 'В это?!'. – Arthur Kazykhanov Nov 17 '17 at 14:40

Can I pronounce в это as вэто?

That's how you should pronounce it, unless you want to sound like a voice synthesiser. In Russian (and in English) normally there are no pauses or glottal stops between words separated by spaces. Unlike German or, say, Chinese, Russian speech just flows. Most frequently one pauses to think or to breathe in more air to keep them going. There are no joiner consonants like the (British) English -r- in I saw it or the French -t- in Ya-t-il. But there can be glottal stops e.g. в России и Ирландии can be pronounced with a glottal stop before и.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.