In American English the standard term seems to be 'whole wheat flour', while in British English it seems that whole meal and whole wheat are used interchangeably (or perhaps whole meal refers to coarse whole wheat flour). How would 'whole wheat flour' be written on Russian flour products? Or how would you ask for it in a Russian supermarket? When I search on some Chinese retail sites I've seen products labelled "пшеничная мука" being listed in Chinese as 'whole wheat flour' but from what I can gather it only means 'wheat flour' in Russian. Is that the same as 'whole wheat flour' in English?

• I know nothing about wheat and flour, but look for starters here (if you can read Russian). It appears there are different quality levels of wheat flour in Russian nomenclature. – Oleg Lobachev Jan 7 '18 at 2:39
    I suppose I have seen the term "мука из цельной пшеницы" though I admit I have no idea what it means. – Viridianus Jan 7 '18 at 3:57
  • a list of possible equivalents in Multitran - multitran.ru/c/m.exe?l1=1&l2=2&s=whole%20wheat%20flour – Баян Купи-ка Jan 7 '18 at 9:17
  • @Viridianus means hull is also there during processing, so there would be more fiber and less digestable carbs. – Maxgmer Feb 19 '20 at 8:41

The equivalent "vulgar" term will be цельнозерновая мука (whole-grain flour). More proper term will be обойная мука, while any one or both of these terms may be present on a package.

To my knowledge "whole wheat floor" is actually "непросеянная (пшеничная) мука". According to the definition from this site:

Непросеянная мука или мука грубого помола - это мука сделанная из цельных зерен. Чаще всего под непросеянной мукой подразумевают грубую пшеничную муку, но на самом деле её производят из любых видов злаковых культур. Характерной особенностью такой муки является темный цвет и большое содержание грубых частиц.

Which is exactly what "whole wheat floor" is. The other reason I think this is the right term is that whole wheat bread is called in Polish "Chleb razowy" and it just happened that I now that this relates to мука разового помола which the other term for мука грубого помола.

Also I want to add that the answer provided ("обойная мука") does not contradict to my answer - it's just that as far as I know "обойная мука" is a kind of "мука грубого помола", it's one of its varieties. Here's relevant quote:

Это распространенный сорт, который представляет собой порошок самого грубого помола. Зерно размалывают, иногда даже не просеивая, поэтому встречаются достаточно крупные частички до 700 мкм.

As a side-note - there's a difference between "цельнозерновая мука" and "мука грубого помола".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.