I was looking for a word meaning "blur" (as a noun) or "bokeh".

I know the word расфокусированный means "out of focus", but does "расфокусировка" exist?

  • Shortly, "Расфокусировка" is not "bokeh".
    – Alexander
    Commented Jan 25, 2018 at 19:04

4 Answers 4


Yes расфокусировка does exist, it might be found in the dictionaries. However it's rather a gerund in English grammar terms, that is it denotes an action and not a state. But i guess depending on a context it might work.

Here you have a host of translation options. I would prefer мутность, размытость/размытие, туман, нечёткость or more accurately эффект мутности/размытости/нечёткости

But in my opinion all above mentioned options aren't adequate enough. Russian fails in this department.

  • Спасибо большое за ответ! Надеюсь, смысл будет понятен с такими примерами.
    – swrutra
    Commented Jan 24, 2018 at 23:25
  • 1
    Wikipedia thinks a direct loanword боке exists, by the way. Commented Jan 26, 2018 at 21:11
  • @Oleg Lobachev among specialists it may be known, i, not being a specialist, have only got to know it through this question, and there's very high likelihood that to a regular Russian speaking person it won't tell anything as opposed to blur to an anglophone Commented Jan 26, 2018 at 21:30
  • @БаянКупи-ка Any amateur photographer knows what is боке. If you will spend one or two hours for reading any book, article, etc. about photography, you will meet this word.
    – Dmitriy
    Commented Jan 27, 2018 at 14:34
  • 1
    @Dmitry sadly i'm not a photographer, even not an amateur, and although i'm familiar with blur effect from using graphic editors, with боке i hadn't been familiar until i read this question, i believe there're many more people like me than otherwise... obviously i don't dispute it being a jargonism, the disparity is in the fact that the English blur isn't strictly a professional jargon, it's comprehensible by any uninitiated person unlike боке by any average native speaker of Russian Commented Jan 27, 2018 at 14:59

The simplest google search immediately proves that such word exists.

Proof #1. An article in Wiktionary:

расфокусировка - смещение фокуса, нарушение фокусировки

Proof #2. A photography tutorial titled "Расфокусировка — несколько приемов сделать снимок оригинальнее"

Proof #3. A medicine article "Что такое расфокусировка зрения, и как ее лечить"

Plus about 90000 other proofs. So, please, in future tend to perform some initial research before asking a question here. The more effort you put into the question, the higher is the probability you'll get quality answers.

Also I want to mention that, while the Russian wiki on "боке" indeed does not use расфокусировка (or just расфокус) to my knowledge it's quite common term in professional photographers community.

  • the OP doesn't ask if расфокусировка exists but if it exists as a legitimate translation for blur which is a purview of terminology not easily parseable by a non-native speaker Commented Jan 24, 2018 at 22:06
  • indeed, the user does, still, it can be easily googled and this is also mentioned in my answer (link to photo tutorial plus explanation how this used by photographers)
    – shabunc
    Commented Jan 24, 2018 at 22:09
  • OK, I admit that I didn't look for the word "расфокусировка" directly on Google's search bar, but even so I consider unfair to say that I did no previous research. I usually check for new words on dictionaries, both printed and online, and the ones I had checked only mentioned "расфокусированный". Hence the question, having also the knowledge of the word "фокусировка" as a reference. Anyway, thank you for your answer and confirmation.
    – swrutra
    Commented Jan 24, 2018 at 23:22
  • @swrutra again, it's not a rant about being lazy or something - explanation what sources you've been looking for and why you still have doubts can make things clearer for those who answers. It's all about the quality of question and possible answers.
    – shabunc
    Commented Jan 24, 2018 at 23:36
  • 1
    I see. Maybe you're asking me to cite sources in future questions and not particularly on this one. Anyway, my sources for this word were dict.com, openrussian.org, and my printed dictionary (which is from 1989, so it may be a bit outdated when it comes to technological terminology).
    – swrutra
    Commented Jan 24, 2018 at 23:40

Now, to bokeh.

I would describe it as размытие фона or фон не в фокусе. Russian Wikipedia thinks a direct borrowing exists, боке. This is in my opinion even more professional jargon than расфокусировка. (The latter, as I think was already mentioned, is a state of the optics rather then property of the image.)

A more formal term around bokeh is глубина резко изображаемого пространства (depth of field), but it describes everything on the object in and out of focus. A more formal/professional description of bokeh would then be something like малая ГРИП с нерезким фоном, loosely corresponding to shallow depth of field, which results in bokeh.


Расфокусировка (объектива) is a widely used term in optics. It refers to a position of lens components, corresponding to blurred image, relatively to the focused position giving the most sharp image. The term can also describe any motion in lens components towards unfocused state of the lens as does the verb расфокусирование which describes just action. By extension, the term is often applied to blurred images resulting from unfocused state of the lens (расфокусированность или расфокусировка изображения).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.