У нас должна быть ясная голова, шобы делать свою работу, да?

I gather it is equivalent to "чтобы", given the context and that "шо" seems to be a distorted form of "что", possibly of Ukrainian origin.

• We pronounce "штобы". – V.V. Feb 3 '18 at 9:31
  • @V.V. At least, pronunciation-wise, are these two identical? – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Feb 3 '18 at 10:48
  • I believe it's regional, highly colloquial, the meaning is the same, but it would be weird if you try to use "шо" instead of "што ". – V.V. Feb 3 '18 at 11:09

Yes, in meaning шобы = чтобы (and their respective shortened forms шоб = чтоб)

I don't think this pertains to pronunciation in Russian Federation, in Ukraine however in informal loose speech it's very widespread, but still belongs to low register, which nobody seems to feel uncomfortable with.

Could be influenced by a native Ukrainian counterpart щоб(и) [щоб(ы)]

I would not recommend using it at all, as it's a regionalism which must be accompanied with other regional features to sound authentic, if nothing else (not to speak of euphony, which it lacks). Otherwise it will sound out of place.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.