I was sent this meme by a friend, and although I can read and understand it in a literal sense, I am failing to understand what about the usage of these words is comical.

I believe the text roughly translates to "Andre Ilyich is stern yet gentle to himself on the timetable- he glued a sticker of a cat"

I understand that the gun would be the timetable. What is the play on words?

enter image description here

• The text lacks punctuation, this making it harder to understand. There should be ":" or at least "," after "нежен". And comma before "но", but this is obvious.
    – AlexVB
    Feb 4 '18 at 17:02
  • @AlexVB this type of text (poroshki) usually lacks punctuation, it's part of the genre.
    – Alissa
    Feb 5 '18 at 13:11

I think you misunderstood the timetable thing. ТТ is Тульский Токарев, a handgun. Табельное [оружие], or служебное оружие is a service pistol, issued to, e.g. police officers. (By the way, ТТ is not used as a service pistol anymore, as far as I know.) As Токарев is a male surname, the adjective is used as табельный.

So, the guy sticked a cute cate™ pic to his service pistol, which should be a pun.

Andrey Ilyich is stern yet gentle
onto his service "TT" gun
he glued a sticker with a kitty from a gum

"Котэ" is a Runet meme meaning cuteness, kind of kawai in Japanese terms but less syrupy.

So it's a play on the contrast between fondness of guns or occupation in some enforcement agency and having a cute bubble gum sticker on a weapon.

Here's a relevant article with some background on the meme (rus).

The poem itself is incidentally written in a meter similar (likely unintentionally) to the Japanese haiku.

I don't think poroshki poems are in any way related to haikus. They're a development on pirozhki, the deadpan blank-verse quatrains which are AFAIK a wholly Russian internet phenomenon. perhaps with a small nod to limericks. Poroshki shortened the last line to a single mora and introduced a rhyme in it. Feb 4 '18 at 14:33
  • @Nikolay Ershov thank you for mentioning them, although i'm familiar with the phenomenon i admit i didn't know or remember their name, that's why i glossed over them... the similarity of the genre with haiku could have well been unintentional, but here i think it works well with cuteness which can be alluded to Japanese pop-culture Feb 4 '18 at 14:41
  • still there's some affinity to Japanese poetry as according to the Lurkmore's article on pirozhki their original creator was a user of the now defunct hokku.ru Feb 4 '18 at 14:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.