Someone told me that it is incorrect to say "Я не люблю людей, моложе меня". The correct syntax, she said, is "Я не люблю людей, кто моложе меня".

I got to know that, when using a comparative referring to people on a subordinate clause, the subordinate clause may not be introduced by the comparative (моложе), but by a relative pronoun (кто, который, etc.).

But, what about things other than people?

If I want to tell "I don't like cars older than 5 years", which of the following alternatives is valid?

1. Я не люблю машин, что старше пяти лет.

2. Я не люблю машин, которые старше пяти лет.

3. Я не люблю машин, которым более пяти лет.

4. Я не люблю машин, чему более пяти лет.

• Я не люблю людей моложе меня is fully identical to the English I don't like people younger than me Feb 6, 2018 at 16:33

1 Answer 1

Strange advice. Я не люблю людей, кто моложе меня is ungrammatical. Sounds like the kind of mistake an English speaker would make. Кто never introduces a subordinate clause without a preceding form of тот (in the appropriate gender, case, and number), unless the main clause's verb is imperative.

Я не люблю людей моложе меня (no comma) is correct and that's how you should say it.

Я не люблю тех, кто моложе меня is correct too but a bit too bookish for everyday speech.

1. Я не люблю машин, что старше пяти лет. — Accidentally sounds like a line of poetry. You'd rarely find что outside the poetic register (unless, of course, it's a тот, что two-parter).

2. Я не люблю машин, которые старше пяти лет. — Okay.

3. Я не люблю машин, которым более пяти лет. — Better.

4. Я не люблю машин, чему более пяти лет. — If anything, this can be understood to somewhat clumsily try to say that the speaker has disliked cars for over five years.

• Спасибо огромное! Now it's clear... кто always after тот, тех, etc. If a comparative can introduce a subordinate clause, then it's ok to tell Я не люблю машин, старше пяти лет?
    – swrutra
    Feb 6, 2018 at 12:17
  • @swrutra Yes. But, again, you don't need the comma. Feb 6, 2018 at 12:34
  • "Я не люблю людей(,) что моложе меня" (not sure about comma) - sounds ok, although old fashioned. Notice how "что" is used instead of "кто" in some cases, like in "Что он за человек?".
    – AlexVB
    Feb 6, 2018 at 12:48
    @swrutra Я не люблю машинЫ старше пяти лет/которым более пяти лет in my opinion is the correct case (Accusative) ending in this particular sentence, машин is Genitive which with love applies to animate objects, я не люблю машин has the connotation of a sensual/romantic love and not of preference or fondness... one can say я не вижу машин, but not я не люблю машин Feb 6, 2018 at 16:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.