How would you typically translate до поры до времени, and how is it different from a less idiomatic phrase like в данное время?

• "For the time being " is the closest meaning. as well as "now" for the second phrase. – V.V. Feb 19 '18 at 12:30
    I'd interpret the literal meaning of the phrase as 'until the time comes for it to change'. – Alex_ander Feb 20 '18 at 5:53

до поры до времени - for the time being; temporarily

в данное время - at this/present moment; presently; currently

The 1st adverb underscores transient nature of an event or a state, the 2nd one is neutral in this respect, just describing the current state, which may or may not be bound to change.

Here's a few translations loosely based on these reverso examples:

• Роллинг с его́ миллиа́рдами ну́жен мне до поры́ до вре́мени.
    I need Rolling and his billions only for so long.

• И всё бы́ло хорошо́... до поры́ до вре́мени.
    And it worked... for a while.

• Все они таки́е, до поры́ до вре́мени.
    They all are, until they aren't anymore.

• I'm familiar with Reverso; Ive seen all of those. It's not a great help for getting into the nuances, though. – spoko Feb 18 '18 at 23:35
  • That's why I translated the above examples myself or at least validated Reverso translations. – Sergey Slepov Feb 19 '18 at 0:07

...and how is it different from a less idiomatic phrase like в данное время?

This idiom emphasizes that the situation cannot continue indefinitely. And the finale can have critical consequences.

Роллинг с его миллиардами нужен мне до поры до времени

At some point, I will not need Rolling and the fate of Rolling will be tragical

• That's really interesting. So there's an element of suspense built into this phrase? That makes sense, because it is so often translated with an ellipsis ahead of it. – spoko Feb 19 '18 at 14:48
  • @spoko this depends on the context, you legitimately can say Я здесь работаю до поры до времени. Как только я найду что-нибудь получше, меня отсюда как ветром сдует - I only work here for the time being. As soon as I find a better job I will be gone. which of course is no tragic consequence either for the employer or the speaker – Баян Купи-ка Feb 19 '18 at 16:28
  • Понятно, спасибо. Also thanks for the phrase как ветром сдует—hadn't seen that one before. – spoko Feb 19 '18 at 16:38
  • @spoko sure.... – Баян Купи-ка Feb 19 '18 at 16:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.