Я с радостью помогу. Только работать постоянно никак не получится.

I'm trying to grasp the undertone of this phrase. Does it mean:

Try as I might, working full-time just won't work out for me in any way.

{or}: Regrettably, I won't be able to work full-time. I just can't make it happen, despite my best intentions to the contrary.

{or}: I wish I could work full-time, but circumstances don't allow me to.

I mean, rather than showing a strong refusal on the part of the speaker:

I'd be glad to help, but there's no way I'm going to work full-time.

On another note: Can I use "получиться" and "удаться" interchangeably here, or are the two somehow nuanced in this specific sentence?

Я с радостью помогу. Только работать постоянно никак не удастся.

2 Answers 2

Я с радостью помогу. Только работать постоянно никак не удастся /не получится.

My feeling is the following. Both verbs are interchangeable in this situation. It means he will help /he is eager to help, but due to some circumstances he can't work full time. And it doesn't depend on him.

• So can I use these expressions as a mild refusal? Mar 18, 2018 at 12:31
  • Could you give a situation? You know that everything depends on the context. Боюсь, у меня не получится is OK in many situations, but it's better to know what you mean.
    – V.V.
    Mar 18, 2018 at 13:08
  • "Regrettably, I won't be able to work full time." Hi. This is what I had in mind. Mar 18, 2018 at 14:08
  • Yes, it's OK, you can say it.
    – V.V.
    Mar 18, 2018 at 14:20

"I'll gladly help. But working full time just isn't possible for me." It's like the second or third option. It's saying it can't happen, without going into specifics, a polite refusal.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.