I can see from an internet search that виральный (edit: вирусный) has the meaning of "viral", but what is the translation of the phrase "to go viral", e.g., "that video has gone viral"?

• go viral — ► to become very popular very quickly
    – user5149
    Mar 5, 2015 at 18:17

4 Answers 4

We use the word вирусный. There are Russian expressions like вирусный маркетинг, вирусная реклама, вирусное видео.

That video has gone viral. - Это видео стало вирусным. / Это видео превратилось в вирусное.

The English Wiki article on viral marketing has a counterpart in the Russian Wiki called "Вирусный маркетинг".

This marketing-related meaning of the Russian word вирусный is quite new, but quite established and widely used.

• I saw pages on вирусный маркетинг, but I wasn't sure what the correct way to say "go (viral)" is.
    – KCd
    Dec 25, 2012 at 18:15
  • I would not understand this meaning. If I heard something like that I would think the video became infected by a computer virus or the like.
    – Anixx
    Jul 10, 2013 at 8:34

To say "to go viral" within the meaning of something became widely known, popular, spreading from one to another, you can use the set phrase:

That video has gone viral. -- Видеоролик пошёл в народ.

or similar idiom:

That video has gone viral. -- Это видео пошло в массы.

You can also hear "Это видео разошлось" or variants like that. As for me, I would not say "Это видео превратилось в вирусное".

I think I've heard people sometimes use the expression "сарафанное радио" as a synonym for viral marketing -- though I think the expression predates viral marketing (and originally meant something closer to "hearsay" or "word of mouth").

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.