What would be the accurate translation for "Even though"?

I found "даже если" and "даже когда" and in Cambridge dictionary (English- Russian) "несмотря на то что". So, I am a little bit confused about the term that I have to use.

For example:

Even though he is a smart man he did that mistake.

Even though he was around he didn't come to say hello.

• At the start of a sentence (without an "if"), "несмотря на то, что" is preferable.
    – Alexander
    Apr 5 '18 at 17:01

Even though he is a smart man he did that mistake. - Несмотря на то, что он умён ... / Хоть он и умён, ...

Even though he was around he didn't come to say hello. - Несмотря на то, что он был поблизости ... / Хоть он и был поблизости ...

даже когда means even when and is appropriate when there's temporary aspect involved:

He didn't work out even when he was young, much less now when he's 70 - Он не занимался физкультурой, даже когда был молод, а теперь, когда ему 70, и подавно.

даже если - even if, when there's a condition:

Even if he showers her with gifts and jewelry she still won't marry him - Даже если он будет осыпать её подарками и украшениями, она всё равно не пойдёт за него замуж.

• BTW, more natural here would be to adjust tense - "он сделал ошибку, хотя и БЫЛ умён" - "he made a mistake despite he WAS smart". IF we aim at literaturally smooth text as the outcome, not подстрочник
    – Arioch
    Apr 6 '18 at 11:31
  • @Arioch or more accurately despite of being smart/despite the fact that he was, but adjustment of tense isn't necessary if a person is considered generally smart and if they're still alive, in any case the English sentence was provided by the OP Apr 6 '18 at 11:44
  • That is why I explicitly said it depends upon the required translation type. The literary one (подстрочник, word by word) or a "literature" one, which is basically a retelling of the story. When retelling you use constructs and patterns natural for target language. And that is why tense adjustment might get introduced, to make the translated=retold text more Russian, more natural.
    – Arioch
    Apr 6 '18 at 12:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.