отправиться навстречу приключениям

Given the meaning of the base word "встреча", I'm assuming that "отправиться навстречу" is somewhat nuanced compared to "отправиться в / на".

отправиться в приключения

отправиться на приключения

I don't suppose "к" works here, does it?

отправиться к приключениям

Incidentally, I wonder if "приключение" should always be in the plural when coupled with "отправиться".

On a side note: another similar phrase comes to mind:

отправиться в путешествие

• Is it a question about навстречу or about using в and на prepositions when talking about abstract things? A nuance of the first is well described by a dictionary - it means towards. For the second I'm afraid it is more a convention. You say "на войну" and "в поход" and not other way round. And no, в/к/на приключения doesn't work. – AlexVB Apr 8 '18 at 11:24
  • @AlexVB Hi. No, it is not about the prepositions themselves, but the possible nuances when coupled with the verb "отправиться". Because at least "навстречу" and "в" seem to work equally well with "отправиться". – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Apr 8 '18 at 11:31
  • Why do you think so? I can't come up with an example when you can use both. – AlexVB Apr 8 '18 at 11:51
  • "в" means "into", it implies you can say later "i am within XXXX". So it works with "в поход" but not with "в приключение". Yep, it is conventional, I can't word some formal rule for it. К also implies with some object near your journey end, or some person owning the location. "пойдём к Петровым" - "Let's go to the Petrovs". "Иванов - к доске" - can a teacher call a pupil to come to the chalkboard for publicly solving a task. So, basically it is about preposition-noun coupling, not preposition-verb – Arioch Apr 8 '18 at 11:51
    навстречу шторму / в шторм. Okay, here в means where-is rather than where-to, so you may argue it is kinda another preposition, homonym :-D /// навстречу лету / дверь в лето /// навстречу истории / уйти в историю (ы вечность) – Arioch Apr 8 '18 at 11:59

"Отправиться навстречу" is a absolutely correct for "приключениям", but it is a phraseologysm. Отправиться навстречу опасности, отправиться навстречу судьбе, отправиться навстречу геморрою, отправиться навстречу мечтаниям.

"Отправиться навстречу приключениям" is a proper phrase for embarking on an adventure.

"Отправиться в приключения" is not proper. "Пуститься в приключения" can be used.

"Отправиться на приключения" is proper, but nuanced differently from "... навстречу ...". "... навстречу ..." implies that the adventures would be unexpected, with overall positive sense. "... на ..." implies that adventures would be of a well-known sort, with overall negative sense, for example, a nightlong drinking trip through seedy bars.

"Отправиться к приключениям" is hardly proper as it is. "Отправиться к новым приключениям" would be better.

• The phrase "Отправиться на приключения" occurs in internet posts. But I didn't find a single occurrence in RusCorpora – Vitaly Apr 10 '18 at 17:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.