Ну и денек выдался в минувшую субботу!

I assume these two words are not to be interpreted literally as "Well and". When do you use "Ну и" like this at the start of conversation?

2 Answers 2

By Alone-zee's request i trasfer here my comments made in response to identical sub-question in another thread

ну и is an emphatic compound interjection in exclamations expressing negative emotions or attitude, it functions as the English what a...; such a...; so... but only in a negative context, e.g.

Ну и погодка сегодня! - What a terrible weather we have today!

Ну и дурак же ты!/Ну ты и дурак! - You're such a fool!

Ну ты и загнул!/Ну и загнул же ты! - You're so exaggerating!

Ну и видок у тебя, Шарапов! - You have such a terrible look, Sharapov!

- Could it be that this "и" is a particle for emphasis that often precedes a verb?

I doubt that. ну и goes not only with verbs and rather to a lesser extent with verbs, and it doesn't follow some previous statement for confirmation or reinforcement, it is perfectly autonomous and self-contained.

Check these examples of usage with a verb:

1. Ну ты и пишешь! (a comment about quality of handwriting) - You have such an awful handwriting! (characters are either too small, illegible, ugly, don't meet some arbitrary requirements or something else etc)

VERSUS

in a dialogue:

-Зачем я это пишу? - Why am i even writing this?
-Тебе сказали писать? - Have you been told to write this?
-Да. - Yes.
-Ну / Вот / Ну вот ты и пишешь. - So that's why you're writing.

Note that in the second example the phrase doesn't end with exclamation mark, it would be inappropriate here because it's not an exclamation.

• Ну и отлично!
    – Zeus
    Apr 16, 2018 at 3:10
  • semantics of ну и in Ну и отлично! (also Ну и ладно! Ну и не надо! Ну и иди!) is different from that in Ну и денёк...! and so merits its own question and explanation Apr 16, 2018 at 8:15

This could be translated as

What a ... !

The sentence above:

What a [wonderful / terrible / ...] day was on saturday!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.