Hey can anyone explain to me the difference between these words, and maybe наматывать as well?

I was doing guitar-vocab, my usual resources seem to be drawing a blank?

Both words mean the inept play on a stringed instrument. Тренькать means more intermittent sounds than бренчать. If you will ask about бреньКАТЬ vs треньКАТЬ , it will be sounds of the same discontinuity. But the intuition of the native orator tells me that the треньк is a higher sound than бреньк. //Наматывать? Perhaps you've asked about наяривать . Наяривать means to play with great passion. (А ну играй-наяривай, гитара семиструнная) – Elena Apr 15 '18 at 7:08
  • yeah to me наматывать sounds odd, but maybe it's a new unknown to me slang of rock guitar players meaning to shred – Баян Купи-ка Apr 15 '18 at 8:15
    I'd reopen with apologies to the asker. This is a basic failure to grasp what is and what isn't a translation request. This is sheer trigger-happy disruptive behaviour. – Nikolay Ershov Apr 15 '18 at 10:52
    @NikolayErshov I've reopened the question. I agree I was wrong initially. – Dmitry Apr 15 '18 at 13:12
  • @Dmitry Thanks! And sorry for my overreaction. – Nikolay Ershov Apr 15 '18 at 13:24

Both mean making repetitive noise.

Бренча́ть is loud and annoying:

• Пиани́но сла́вно бренча́ло всё одну́ и ту же мело́дию.
  • Звени́т гита́ра, бренчи́т бу́бен, у́хает бараба́н.
  • Что́-то бормоча́, он бренча́л ключа́ми, ища́ тот, кото́рый ну́жен.
  • Движо́к тря́сся, бренча́ кры́шкой капо́та.
  • Э́то тебе́ не на балала́йке бренча́ть!

Тре́нькать is softer more intermittent:

• Буфе́тчица погромы́хивала посу́дой, е́ле слы́шно тре́нькала кака́я-то му́зыка.
  • На пери́лах терра́сы то́нко и остро́ тре́нькала кака́я-то пти́чка.
  • В прохо́де сиде́л и бестолко́во тре́нькал на гита́ре пья́ный солда́тик.

Notice three distinct patterns:

• Бренча́ть на (prepositional) - Similar to игра́ть на (гита́ре, балала́йке).
  • Бренча́ть (instrumental) - Make a noise with something (ключа́ми, кры́шкой).
  • X бренчи́т. - X is making noise on its own.

When used with на, both mean an inept play on a musical instrument.

You can find more examples on http://ruscorpora.ru.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.