Я вообще-то про X и Y...

The speaker used this expression to set her interlocutor straight on who she was actually referring to. I'm assuming this is an equivalent of:

Actually, I was talking/thinking about X and Y.

{or}: Actually, I meant X and Y.

I wonder if it is common to omit a verb (whatever it is) from this Russian expression.

Yes and Yes.

The construct with the verb omission exists also outside of this specific expression. Я о/про + object means I'm speaking of/mean... when used as a clarification either solicited or self-initiated.

The omission is similar to that in a phrase речь о..., where the verb идёт gets omitted, Russian for it's about...

Another expression of this type which came up in a response to another question is Я домой / на работу / в кино where the verb иду is dropped - I'm off home / to work / to the movies.

Yes, it is common to omit a verb. Especially if it is clear from the context or was used in the previous sentence. The verb "lost" in your example is "говорю".

Я вообще-то говорю про то-то и то-то.

As you probably know, the word "to be" is omitted all the time. Sometimes you will see the dash instead of it, sometimes not.

The exact expression with вообще-то (actually) with the omitted verb говорю (I am speaking) typically occurs in the middle of a conversation where the listener has just revealed misunderstanding of the subject. The ground for omitting the verb here is that the listening person anyway faces the continuing fact of speaking.

That very expression is highly unlikely to be seen in a written text since it's a kind of interaction with another person.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.