Hey I'm confused about the use of случаться vs происходить, as well as бывать and статься. They appear high up on most of the frequency lists I've seen, I've read that случаться describes a random happening, while бывать is more something that happens more habitually. So I guess, if that's agreed to be the case, do происходить and статься differ along that line as well? Or generally, what is the relationship between these words? Thanks

• 'статься' is used only in combinations 'может статься' и 'как статься?'//// Может статься = maybe///Как статься = who can know this for sure///Как статься? Возможно это и произойдет (и случится) когда-нибудь – Elena Apr 22 '18 at 15:17
  • @Elena Not really, there's a lot of other "stable idioms" using статься (see for examples the link in my comment at the answer below). But yes, they are just that - idoms, thus we never use статься where случаться/происходить are used (except maybe a few special cases like "что с тобой произодет?"/"что с тобой станется?" where they are quite close but still not identical). – seven-phases-max Apr 22 '18 at 15:57
  • "случаться" can't be used in present continuous tense. In that case, use have to use "происходить". – Alexander Apr 23 '18 at 17:56

случиться - to happen accidentally or unexpectedly, to occur

Случилось так, что в назначенный день адвокат заболел.

Случилось странное происшествие.

произойти - to take place due to reasons, having an explanation

Из-за явного нарушения правил безопасности произошёл пожар.

Как и прогнозировали, в этом месяце произошло извержение вулкана.

статься (bookish, archaic) - to end up with some situation (for unknown reason), to have some destiny in the end

Может статься (= сложиться так), что мы больше не встретимся.

-- А что сталось с тем поручиком? -- Лет через 10 примкнул к повстанцам в Греции и погиб.

| improve this answer | |
    Funny that in the 2nd verse end at "Цунами" - rockk.ru/text.php?readmore=9181 - personally I hear "Помогу тебя. Статься - погибнешь." Maybe it is a personal quirk. So, "статься" has a shade of lesser probability, of little hope, like "быть может", – Arioch Apr 23 '18 at 9:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.