Here's a quote from Anna Karenina:

Как это будет ему доказано, он не знал, но знал, что это, несомненно, логически будет ему доказано, и он ждал этого доказательства

I would like to know: why is этого in genitive case, singular form, and доказательства in accusative case, plural form? Shouldn't they agree in number?

this topic has been addressed several times in the past, please take a look at Why do some nouns take the genitive case instead of the accusative? Jun 10 '18 at 10:00
    доказательствА here is Genitive form of singular доказательство, so it agrees with the pronoun этого, in Accusative plural they would inflect as этИ доказательствА Jun 10 '18 at 10:08
  • Why did you ask the same question on multiple sites at the same time? I see it at reddit.com/r/russian/comments/8pznvo/…. Just ask in one place, and if you do not get an answer after a day or two (not a minute or two) then ask elsewhere.
    – KCd
    Jun 10 '18 at 14:14
    @KCd how can you dictate a person the way they should go about finding out an answer? it's their right to ask here regardless of their activities elsewhere, isn't it? Jun 10 '18 at 19:55
    @KCd to be on a safe side one may assume the OP needed the answer urgently, i personally don't mind them doing that, if i do hang out here i'm ready to waste some of my own time Jun 10 '18 at 20:32

It's not a plural form of the accusative case; it's a singular form of the genitive case. Like 'нет кого\чего?' 'доказательства'. The plural form of the accusative case for this word is 'эти доказательства'.

• The last sentence is not correct.
    – Abakan
    Jul 10 '18 at 21:02
  • @Abakan edited. Jul 10 '18 at 22:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.