Интересно, слетит ли он с катушек еще раз?

I wonder if this is a set expression with the meaning of:

I wonder if he will go out of his mind and fly away once again.

The corresponding English expression is "fly off the handle". There's nothing about "flying away" there, otherwise your translation is quite adequate. – Headcrab Jun 18 '18 at 3:15
  • I believe the image is taken from a process of lifting hewvy weights by industrial cranes, rolling some wires over the spindle wheels. If the wire started to unroll over the wheel side - then the weight would uncontrollsbly fly down, potentially breaking the crane and everything below – Arioch Jun 22 '18 at 23:31

Слететь с катушек is equal to "go crazy /mad, to lose control, to behave inadequately."

Иван совсем с катушек слетел, ругается дебоширит. Дай бог ему здоровья и не слететь с катушек. Можно было сразу слететь с катушек, это был удар по нервной системе.

"Слетит ли он с катушек" is translated as "if he will go out of his mind" So, the correct translation will be "I wonder if he will go out of his mind once again".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.