On many a website from Russia and Belarus I can see prices on products displayed as:

212,00 p.

I've added a screen shot as well.

Is the price 212 rubles or is it a shortening or a delimiter of some sort? (like 212k meaning 212,000)

enter image description here

• I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this is not about Russian language
    – Quassnoi
    Jun 19 '18 at 10:39
    it IS about Russian language because in Russian in particular periods of decimal fractions and of complex numbers over 1000 are delimited differently than they are in English Jun 19 '18 at 10:58
    Can you explain the rules of delimiting numbers in Russian please? This is exactly the meaning of the question
    – user13107
    Jun 19 '18 at 10:59
    Instead of the decimal point we use a decimal comma. :) Thus the price in the screen shot is 212 roubles, not 212K. As a thousand delimiter we use a (thin) space: 1 000 000 is 1M. Jun 19 '18 at 11:27
    A comma as a decimal (floating) point delimiter. A dot might (or might be not) used as a thousands' delimiter; the most often-used thousands' delimiter is space (thin/narrow one preferrable).
    – yury10578
    Jun 19 '18 at 15:18

Yes, рубль is commonly abbreviated as руб. or р., so 212,00 р. means 212 рублей. On websites which sell things, рубль is often abbreviated for simplicity of programming. You don't need to program the server to use the correct case each time (21 рубль, 22 рубля, 25 рублей).

In Russian, comma is used to delimit the integer and fractional parts, e.g., the familiar approximation to pi in Russian would be written as 3,14. On the other hand, rubles and kopecks can be also delimited by a period (for example, 3 rubles 62 kopecks was 3.62). I would say that all of the following are common: 212,00 р., 212.00, 212,00, 212 руб. 00 коп.

The price of 212 Belarussian rubles (about $100) is pretty typical for a mattress.

Why do you say that rubles and kopecks should be separated by a period, not by a "decimal comma"? Prices are just another example of numbers with decimal fractions. Here is an example of a price list.
    – Vitaly
    Jun 19 '18 at 18:09
  • Here is another example, and there are tons of examples like this: businesspskov.ru/rmarket/shops/113742.html . I don't know what idiot invented the decimal comma, but at least with rubles it is not that widespread.
    – user31264
    Jun 19 '18 at 21:00
  • it should have been "can be separated by the period". "Should" means that there is a rule for this etc, but you said in the previous paragraph that the rule clearly requires the comma, not the period. In practice, yes, in many cases the perion can be used for this. Jun 20 '18 at 0:13
  • @user907860 I don't like the decimal comma, but fixed it anyways.
    – user31264
    Jun 20 '18 at 4:31
    in soviet paper hand-filled forms roubles and kopecks were often separated by a dash, to bring here yet more example. In the end it is more about conventions than rules, about expressing an idea with no ambiguity. Granted, specific documents (standard forms) may really have their local rules how to fill them. But those would hardly be rules of the language or of the state.
    – Arioch
    Jun 20 '18 at 9:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.