If I want to say "can I take a photo of you (your face)", how should I proceed?

Могу снять фото на вас?

Могу снять портрет ваш?

Or neither of the aforementioned?

• Both phrases are incorrect - I'm mentioning this only for a future references – shabunc Jul 19 '18 at 17:34

It's можно вас сфотографировать?

Фотографировать is Russian for "photographing", "taking a picture", and it has a direct object in accusative, so there is not need to recourse to analytic constructs similar to English ones.

As a side note, Russians are usually not particularly fond of people on street taking their pictures without a good reason, so if you just want to take a photo of a stranger on the street, it would not hurt to throw in some kind of explanation:

Простите, можно вас сфотографировать? Я из …, мне для …

"Excuse me, can I take your picture? I'm from …, and it's for …".

| improve this answer | |
  • Better yet, use the form: "... разрешите Вас сфотографировать ..." offering an apology and an explanation, like @Quassnoi said. – yury10578 Jul 19 '18 at 17:54
  • As a side note—I've never heard a Russian use the word (с)фотографировать. They all seems to use (с)фоткать/ (с)фоткаться. – VCH250 Jul 19 '18 at 18:52
    @VCH250 LOL. I wonder (actually no, I want never know that) who are people with who you are usually contact. – Dmitriy Jul 20 '18 at 7:09
  • What a coincidence! When I was in Russia last year, I told a few people "можно сфотографировать вас?" precisely! I just wanted to know if there's an alternative way to tell it, but apparently not. – swrutra Aug 1 '18 at 18:48

If one is asking complete strangers I'd go with Вы не против, если я вас сфотографирую? - it sounds to me subtly more polite and sort of less insistent rather than можно-form mentioned in the different question (which is 100% percent valid of course).

в разговорной речи так ( in colloquial speech so ) :

не правильно (not properly) : простите разрешите..

правильно: можно вас сфоткать? можно с вами сфоткаться?

Too many mistakes (almost in every word) for a person pretending to be a teacher... – Dmitriy Jul 20 '18 at 7:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.