What is an English equivalent of the phrase Ещё Аристотель отмечал, что... , т.е. ещё в смысле уже? One might say Already Aristotle observed that..., but its meaning seems to be slightly different (?). Anyway, is there any other locution with roughly the same meaning?

It appears that my variant is not idiomatic enough.

• "As soon as" or "already"? – Oleg Lobachev Jul 24 '18 at 22:08
  • as soon as тут вообще не при чем, конструкция с already тоже неправильная - см.ссылку в теле вопроса – user4574 Jul 24 '18 at 22:11

Mayhap

Even Aristotle was one who observed

or there's a need to construct the sentence differently

The fact that.... had already been observed by Aristotle

• Не, это не совсем то, что требуется - второй вариант просто переводит мою конструкцию из актива в пассив, смысл тот же. А первый вообще имеет другой смысл ( и Аристотель тоже) и хромает в смысле идиоматичности - in my opinion, either "Aristotle was the one who observed" or just "Even Aristotle observed that...", but both have got quite different meanings. – user4574 Jul 24 '18 at 18:34
  • i could be wrong but i don't think already goes with nouns, that's why in order to use it properly, that is with a verb in this case, the construction needs a change... Already Aristotle observed doesn't sound English to me, it sounds Russian... neither my 1st attempt does sound unidiomatic to me... but anyhow, i tried – Баян Купи-ка Jul 24 '18 at 19:31
  • You are right—the passive goes while the active as I put it doesn't. – user4574 Jul 24 '18 at 21:01
    Очень хороший второй вариант с past perfect passive. – V.V. Jul 25 '18 at 6:51

Back in his days, Aristotle pointed out that...

(or stronger: as early as his days, as long ago as his days)

It seems to me that the nearest sense of Еще Аристотель is

Aristotle was the first to observe that...

Можно сделать более общий смысл

As far back as Aristotle's time it was observed...

Or simply

Aristotle,at his time, observed...