How do they describe in Russian the act of a soldier clicking his heels together, which was very common in the pre-revolutionary Russian army?

For example, how to say in Russian "I saw him click his heels together when the general approached him"?

  • Notice that this action is rather connected to a sort-of showing off or officers in tsar army, this is in a sense an outdated gesture. Aug 7, 2018 at 21:26

1 Answer 1


It's щёлкать/щёлкнуть каблуками.

Я увидел, как он щёлкнул каблуками, когда генерал приблизился (к нему).


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.