What's the correct way to describe in Russian a beam-ceilinged room, that is, a room with wooden beams in its ceiling?

enter image description hereenter image description hereenter image description here

2 Answers 2


This is здание/комната c перекрытиями балочного типа.

Here's a quote:

По типу конструкции перекрытия, применяемые в индивидуальном строительстве можно разделить на две группы:

  • балочные – состоят из несущего элемента (балки) и заполнителя, обеспечивающего тепло- и звукоизоляцию.
  • безбалочные – выполняемые из готовых плит или панелей.

Балочный here is derived from балка which is predictably a beam.

  • Can we call them "потолочные балки"? I mean more colloquially in fiction. I happen to need the thing.
    – V.V.
    Aug 8, 2018 at 6:19
  • Yes, I think we can. At least that's what I would call them.
    – Alissa
    Aug 9, 2018 at 11:06

Strictly speaking, those are different types of "перекрытие", respectively, "перекрытие без подшивки потолком", and two cases of "[дом, здание] без чердачного перекрытия". I wouldn't know the English terms off the bat, though.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.