Most verbs derived from учиться answer the question "чему?". However, my textbook just cites "делать что?" as the question to be answered by разучиться.

Can разучиться be followed by a noun rather than a verb, and if so does the noun take the dative case like учиться, научиться and обучаться?

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Разучиться only takes an infinitive after it: разучиться (что делать?) стрелять. A similar verb отучить(ся) (= to quit some habit or make somebody quit it) can take either an infinitive (отучить кого-либо поступать так-то) or a noun with the preposition от (отучить/ся/ от привычки).

• Maybe отучиться is the solution when I want to refer to a noun I lost practice of? – swrutra Aug 9 at 10:43
    Отучить(ся) is about an intentional action, so it usually can't replace the verb разучиться which is typically about losing skill due to lack of practice, etc. – Alex_ander Aug 9 at 10:48

No, it can't be followed by a noun.

You can say "учиться стрелять" or "учиться стрельбе", both are OK. But only "разучиться стрелять". You can't say "разучиться стрельбе", it is wrong. If you use "разучиться" in more complicated cases, you would have to re-phrase, if there's no one-to-one correspondence between a noun and a verb. For example, you can't simply invert "учиться военному делу настоящим образом", would have to say something like "разучиться воевать".

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.