(From young to old) – никому прохода не даст!

They are talking about a ladykiller's taste in women covering a broad spectrum from young to old.

I wonder if this phrase means something along the lines of "no one slips under his radar"?

it's borderline being a stalker, won't let anyone pass by/through, like blocking their way – Баян Купи-ка Aug 9 at 6:28
  • @БаянКупи-ка Hi. So the literal meaning is something like "he won't give/allow a passage to anyone (so that he could chat them up)"? – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Aug 9 at 19:19
  • hi, yes, that's right – Баян Купи-ка Aug 9 at 19:46
  • the purposes for which one won't give passage may be various, not only romantic advances, and these are derived from the context – Баян Купи-ка Aug 9 at 20:06

"Не давать прохода" literally means that wherever you go, there's a crowd gathering around you, so you can't go through. Because you are so popular, etc. It's usually exaggerated, for example, if you're a pretty girl every man is trying to hit on, people may say: "Ей мужики не дают прохода." - although, literally, that's not true, you could just ignore them and go where you need. I don't remember seeing it used the other way around (e. g. a single person "не даёт прохода" to multiple other persons), but I guess that's a legitimate usage as well.

• You are correct, usage of the phrase for a single person is rather unusual. Rus Corpora has only 6 examples – Vitaly Aug 9 at 1:27
    i'm familiar with the use for a single person – Баян Купи-ка Aug 9 at 6:26
  • Hmm, never seen "Не давать прохода" in the sense of being popular, seen only in a sense of being combative or annoying. – Alexander Aug 9 at 18:04

Your translation "no one slips under his radar" is very close, if you assume that "no one" are all women.

Никому прохода не даст / никому прохода не даёт - He keeps bugging / harassing everyone (implied every girl)

Another idiom with a similar meaning:

Ни одной юбки не пропустит - He won't miss a single skirt.

• Hi. This sort of rather unique/special idiom -- where can you look them up? – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Aug 9 at 1:36
  • @Con-gras-tue-les-chiens I can't find a dictionary that has idioms discussed in this post. In general, there are phraseological dictionaries, such as by Larionova and by Fyodorov. But they are intended for native speakers and are difficult to use for learners of Russian. – Vitaly Aug 9 at 13:16

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.