I understand why the dative is used in this sentence, given the presence of the preposition по

"Я спала два раза по одному часу"

but I don't understand why it's not used in the following

"Я спала два раза по два часа"

I have become accustomed to speaking that way so it is not an issue in daily life, but I would like to know what the rule is that guides this apparent inconsistency, assuming there is such a rule. I struggled to even describe the problem, so if there is a more appropriate title please don't hesitate to edit.

With один, тысяча, миллион, триллион (in other words, with all that numeral that can be combined with один) dative is used - is just a rule that should be memorized.

So:

По [одному] миллиону долларов попросили оба министерства

but

Министерства запросили по два миллиона.

Relevant quote from slightly outdated yet quite famous grammar reference:

Предлог по в так называемом дистрибутивном (распределительном) значении управляет дательным и винительным падежом числительного. Ср.:

по одному рублю, по тысяче книг, по миллиону жителей, по миллиарду рублей (при числительных один, тысяча, миллион, миллиард);

The other case when we need dative is when we used quantitative words like много, несколько like in по многу раз or по нескольку раз.

| improve this answer | |
  • So it's literally just a rule? I am of course willing to accept that, I've just been confused because I've never seen it addressed / written down anywhere. Well that's easy enough - thanks! – Kanga_Roo Aug 23 '18 at 13:42
    @AudreyM well, native speakers just using some forms without even thinking what case they are using but as of rules, yes it is actually just a rule - I've added a reference to the answer. – shabunc Aug 23 '18 at 13:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.