How is that limited-height section of a house under a floor or roof (usually reserved for wiring and plumbing) called in Russian?

EDIT: The term in English is 'crawl space'. Google Translator rendered it as 'пространство сканирования', which I believe is wrong.

  • 1
    And how does it called in English? If there's a specific term - have you tried to find its translation? In other words was there any additional research beforehand? Usually this information helps to provide more informative answers as well. – shabunc Sep 6 '18 at 9:19
  • @shabunc - does it called, it's translation – Баян Купи-ка Sep 6 '18 at 9:40
  • in case the conventional term isn't found i believe техническое пространство may suit – Баян Купи-ка Sep 6 '18 at 9:43
  • @БаянКупи-ка not sure I got what you are saying. – shabunc Sep 6 '18 at 10:00
  • 1
    here you can look up more suggestions crawl space – Баян Купи-ка Sep 6 '18 at 12:31

There're two terms

техническое подполье and технический чердак

They obviously only suit the entire house, not a separate apartment in an apartment block.

For an apartment техническое пространство (под полом/над потолком) may fit the bill, but this is an improvised generic term for lack of a better one (to my limited knowledge).

  • A larger-dimensional term for larger buildings is технический этаж, but it's a (more or less) full storey, even if it's too small for an adult man to stand. The point is that these technical rooms might be not beyond the ground or on last floor, but also in-between. – Oleg Lobachev Sep 8 '18 at 23:59

In case of the space under the floor it would probably be referred to as "подпольное пространство", literally "under-the-floor space". There is also the word "подпол" which is closer to "crawl space" or "cellar", somewhere you could put jars or vegetables for storage.

As for the space above the ceiling, I am not quite sure these were widely used in Russian architecture.

  • 1
    Подпол is technical space all right. Cellar is погреб. – alamar Sep 6 '18 at 9:56
  • 1
    These are pretty much interchangeable in Russian. Hence Wikitionary even lists them as synonyms. – Heagon Sep 6 '18 at 9:59
  • 1
    I wonder if those dictionary writers even been to a countryside. – alamar Sep 6 '18 at 11:56

I just came up with another similar term from a different view point.


It's basically an "device room", which can be anything. This is rather a room in a building and not a storey, but for that see other questions.

Things like the access door to the elevator motor or a boiler room might be labeled as such.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.