В последнее время мы все много чего услышали о фейк-новостях и о том, что ныне мы живем в эпоху "постправды".

vs: В последнее время мы все многое услышали о фейк-новостях и о том, что ныне мы живем в эпоху "постправды".

I'm wondering how these two are nuanced in meaning -- when to use one or the other.

the 1st has a slight undertone of disdain/skepticism towards the subject, could be replaced with много всего or всякое, in the latter the undertone is stronger – Баян Купи-ка Sep 13 at 17:14
  • много чего — A lot of (stuff)—literally (a lot of that/what/ what-such) / многое — Much. So we've heard a lot of things (different stuff) vs. We've heard much (a lot). – VCH250 Sep 14 at 13:36
  • to address VCH250's comment, много чего and многое differ not so much in meaning as in usage, but what would closer correspond to VCH250's rendering with much/a lot is много слышали rather than многое услышали, многое still means different things – Баян Купи-ка Sep 14 at 15:16
  • That's right) It means much, a great deal. Basically Многое is a noun here, or something similar, whereas много is an adverb of quantity. You are perhaps not totally clear on the meaning of 'much, a lot'. To learn 'a lot/ much' isn't the same as to learn 'a lot of things'. It's the same concept in Russian. – VCH250 Sep 15 at 13:55
  • 1) i'm pretty confident of my understanding, We've heard much (a lot) means heard many/enough times, NOT many (different) things, that's the exact reason why your comparative example isn't very accurate, because the OP's sentences both have the same meaning, that is many different things, and only differ in the undertone... for a sentence in Russian to mean many/enough times, the adverb много should be used... 2) многое is not a noun, but a numeric pronoun, which functions as a direct object of the verb слышать – Баян Купи-ка Sep 15 at 19:41

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.