Р. S. Если Вы видаетесь и увидитесь съ Бернгардомъ Васильевичемъ, то потрудитесь передать ему и семейству его мой сердечный поклонъ.

As far as I know, their meanings seem quite similar, if not the same. Why use two consecutive synonyms like this -- and a juxtaposition of an imperfective verb and a perfective verb, at that?

Видаетесь means see one another habitually, on a regular basis, which is suggested by its imperfective aspect. BTW this form is obsolete. Today we'd say видитесь.

Увидитесь in this context means will see one another soon, in a short while, next time.

I can think of 2 justifications for their combined use: 1) they denote different types of action 2) purely literary aesthetic considerations.

The reason for use of видаетесь instead of видитесь (provided the latter form was current at the time of the text composition) could be that since the latter is consonant with увидитесь thereby creating a semblance of tautology, which is frowned upon in the ethos of Russian composition, it was discarded in favor of an alternative form for the sake of euphony.

• I see. Incidentally, are "съ / поклонъ" outdated versions of "с / поклон" respectively? Sep 16 '18 at 15:40
  • @Con-gras-tue-les-chiens indeed, and nowadays people don't send bows to one another, the entire phrase is built in an old fashion. Sep 16 '18 at 15:42
  • Do you mean both "поклонъ" and "поклон" sound too outdated to say "give one's best regards" in our times? Sep 16 '18 at 15:47
  • @Con-gras-tue-les-chiens pretty much, this is archaic type of manners... the word поклон is the same in both cases, what differs is spelling, which nevertheless doesn't translate into actual speech Sep 16 '18 at 15:49
  • I guess "видаться" is one of those instances where the obsolete tag is sorely lacking in its dictionary entry... Sep 16 '18 at 15:57

если Вы видаетесь = если Вы достаточно регулярно (встречаетесь, видите друг друга)

если Вы увидитесь = если Вы в будущем еще раз его встретите

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.