Why is the word "не" used in the phrase: "мне не нравится"= "I Don't Like"

But on the contrary "нет" is used in this one: "у меня нет"= "I Don't Have"

Is it a rule that Always "мне" goes with "не" and "меня" with "нет", I don't find any reasons for the distinction since in English both sentences would include the "I do not" fragment.

• Please stop attaching completely unrelated images to the posts. – Dmitry Sep 28 '18 at 11:28
  • @dimitry I will continue doing it as I find suitable for my questions and posts, since is in my very own rights to do it. As long as I am not posting any sort of violent, sexually explicit or graphic content in any way. There is no argument for intercepting on an image that DOES INDEED RELATE TO RUSSIAN CULTURE. I am not directly attacking or offending anyone, if you don't think it is "professional" then leave the community, this is a free forum platform for self expression. So really buddy, go an X urself if you think you can interfere with my means of expression. – nicolasns96 Sep 28 '18 at 11:32
  • if only he knew what RUSSIAN CULTURE really is, i mean it's best and valuable part – Баян Купи-ка Sep 28 '18 at 13:49

I'm a fairly novice speaker but I think I can explain this well enough. Usually "не" is used to negate a verb, for example: "Я не хочу..." -> " I do NOT want...

In the second construction you used, нет still means no. Although the English equivalent of "У меня нет..." is "I don't have...", grammatically it is closer to "At me, there is/are no...". So while non-native Russian speakers will think of нет as "do not" in this scenario, it still means "no".

Thanks a lot brother seems that we often confuse "У меня " as "I have" but in reality is "At me" so the phrase would literally translate "At me NOT" rather than at me NO" I don't know if I got you right. – nicolasns96 Sep 28 '18 at 2:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.