Is there a Russian proverb which could be used for saying that when at home, in a place one knows very well, or in a comfort zone, anyone is likely to win/achieve success? For example:

Команда будет играть на домашнем стадионе. Что ж, у ребят хорошие шансы на победу. ... (the proverb).

Ты только дома такой борзый. За границей - никогда. ... (the proverb).

Ты так хорошо разбираешься в этом! - Да, нет. Просто ... (the proverb). Это же - моя сфера. Я этим занимаюсь всю жизнь.

• I guess Дома и стены помогают (literally "Even walls help when you're at home") is exactly what you seek for. – Fr0sT Oct 19 '18 at 12:40
  • @Fr0sT please, add answers that are providing something new compared to one that were already given. – shabunc Oct 19 '18 at 13:29

Well, I actually can think of three, not one idiom that can be used (they are not interchangeable, each of them is applicable only for one of examples provided in the question):

Команда будет играть на своём стадионе. Что ж, у ребят хорошие шансы на победу - дома, как говорится, и стены помогают.

The next one is the quite odd and on of my Russian favorites (though I love dogs ))) - "собаку съесть [на чём-то, в какой-либо теме] - literally to eat a dog.

Ты так хорошо разбираешься в этом! - Да, нет. Просто я же на этом собаку съел. Это же - моя сфера. Я этим занимаюсь всю жизнь.

Last one is less exact however very close:

Ты только дома такой борзый. За границей - никогда. В общем, смелый ты только, когда никто не видит.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.