I'm awfully confused about the difference between the four nouns with the meaning 'difference'. Some example sentences showing which to use in which situation would greatly help my understanding.

1 Answer 1

Разница - difference:

• В чём разница между этим словарём и тем? (What's the difference between this dictionary and that one?)
  • Я не вижу никакой разницы между этими двумя книгами. (I don't see any difference between these two books.)

Разность - difference (the result of the subtraction of one number, quantity, etc, from another):

• Найдите разность между 700 и 400. Ответ - 300. (Find the difference between 700 and 400. The answer is 300.)

So, personally, I associate разность with the mathematical operation. I never use разность the way I use разница. When it comes to the state or quality of being unlike, use разница.

Различие, отличие - distinction:

• Есть очевидные различия (отличия) между двумя винодельными регионами. (There are obvious distinctions between the two wine-making areas).

• Он проводит различие (NOT отличие in this set expression) между искусством и культурой. (He draws a distinction between art and
    culture.)

• Я пока на провёл различия между удовольствием читать и писать. (I did not yet make a distinction between the pleasures of reading and of writing fiction.)

So, remember the expression проводить различия. Alternatively, you might say находить отличия. Again, it's a set expression:

• Найдите пять отличий на картинках. (Spot the 5 differences in the pictures.)

Note that we wouldn't say найдите пять разниц. But I see that it's possible to say найдти пять различий, though I'd prefer найдите пять отличий. Perhaps, it's just a matter of preference here.

Also, remember the expression в отличие от (meaning unlike):

• В отличие от тебя, я знаю, чего хочу. (Unlike you, I know what I want.)

Please note that some people have commented that "проводить различие/различия между" is not a natural Russian collocation. I beg to differ, and here is some evidence to support my argument: source 1 and source 2.

"Проводить различия (-е)" sounds really weird, though it can be found in some sources. "Находить различие", "искать отличия", "видеть разницу" are far better. But видеть отличия, for example, is also ok.
    – Elena
    Oct 23, 2018 at 6:46
    I don't think I've ever heard "Проводить различие" used. I'm a native speaker.
    – Misamoto
    Oct 23, 2018 at 8:05
  • @Misamoto You must have heard this phrase. Perhaps, you just don't remember. I'm a native speaker too.
    – Enguroo
    Oct 23, 2018 at 8:51
    @Enguroo I mentioned the fact that you can come across it in some books. But still I can hardly remember hearing or saying that.
    – Elena
    Oct 23, 2018 at 9:01
    @MrVocabulary there is no difference. I think which phrase to use is just a matter of preference. Both are natural collocations.
    – Enguroo
    Nov 1, 2018 at 7:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.