The rule is "е" sounds like "ye" after a vowel, does the е[ye] have to be right in front of the vowel to sound like [ye] or can it be anywhere behind "e" throughout the word?

You mean, "right behind the vowel"? Nov 21, 2018 at 14:38

2 Answers 2

You are right. If e is preceded by a vowel, it is read as je:

моет, стирает, убирает, etc.

We will also read e as je if a words starts with the letter:

енот, ещё, если, etc.

If e is preceded by ъ or ь, we shall read it as je as well:

подъезд, съезд, въезд, варенье, etc.

However, in words like моeт e is often reduced to и (моит), and words like ещё (see the second rule above) may be read as йищё (если will always be jesl'i since e is stressed). The reason is it's just simpler to pronounce the words like that. Technically, if you read e as je in those words, you'll be right, and no one will ever correct you. Many people will not even catch the difference. Anyway, it's important to note the reduction.

• unfortunately this isn't accurate, a stressed e preceded by a vowel is read as je, the unstressed one is read as i - моИт, убираИт, стираИт, reduction into i occurs at the beginning as well unless there's a cluster of 2 consonants - йИнот, йИщё, but indeed йЭсли Nov 21, 2018 at 14:25
  • i should correct myself, in если Е is not reduced due to being stressed, not because of the following consonants, initial е- is always pronounced as йи- unless stressed Nov 21, 2018 at 18:11
  • @БаянКупи-ка Right. Thanks!
    – Enguroo
    Nov 21, 2018 at 23:14

Better put it this way:

1. If е immediately follows a consonant, no [j] is added: привет, тебе, же.

2. Otherwise it gets a [j] sound in front of it: ел, поел, съел, колье.

Some words have both type 1 and type 2 е: еле, веер, белеет, змееед.

Same rule applies to я, ё, ю.

Minimal pairs to practise the distinction: сел/съел (sat/ate), полёт/польёт (flight/will pour), полю/полью (I weed/I will water), чего/чьего (what/whose), перо/Пьеро (feather/Pierrot).

• I dont understand your statement you say “ if e immediately follows a consonant no [j] is added, but in привет the e here is follow by a consonant and sounds like ye
    – Almonds812
    Nov 22, 2018 at 23:04
  • @Almonds812, I don't know what it sounds like when you say it but I do know a foreigner when they greet me with привйет! There is no й / y / [j] in привет which is what point 1 above says. To a Russian, привет and привйет sound distinctly different, while конвеер and конвейер sound exactly the same. Nov 23, 2018 at 11:40
  • I have been to wikipedia, masterrussian.com, many youtube videos today, i have no i idea where you got that rule for no [j] immediately follows a consonant, in the word привет on wikipedia there is 100% clearly a [j], i also checked many russian blogs on russianpod101.com where they start the blog by saying привет, there is definitely a [j]
    – Almonds812
    Nov 23, 2018 at 13:32
  • I am not just listening to it on wikipedia i am looking at its МФА also
    – Almonds812
    Nov 23, 2018 at 13:32
  • I found the rule you are talking about but it turns out [j] is slightly lessoned but there is definitely still a [j] there
    – Almonds812
    Nov 23, 2018 at 13:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.