I know that случайно встречаться и случайно встретиться means “to meet by chance” but I looked up the verb conjugation and I can't seem to find where they get the verb. Are the words случайно встречаться a whole verb by themselves?

• The verb is встречаться / встретиться.
    – Abakan
    Nov 24, 2018 at 23:47
    Well, случайно встречаться is a shorter form of встречаться от случая к случаю; meaning more like to meet from time to time. I wouldn't say it's the same as случайно встретиться at all.
    – DK.
    Nov 25, 2018 at 5:36

4 Answers 4

Случайно is an adverb, 'accidentally', and встречаться is a verb, 'to meet'.

Wiktionary has a conjugation table for it.

Когда речь идет о случайной встрече, обычно используются глаголы:

• натолкнуться (разг.),
  • наткнуться (разг.),
  • пересечься (реже, но все же, кажется, возможно),
  • повстречаться (обычно в сказках или литературе в общем).

столкнуться is a very good one for this case. It literally means to bump into or to collide with So people would say: Вчера я столкнулся с Машей в кафе = I bumped into Masha at the coffee shop yesterday

There is a single verb with the meaning 'to meet (somebody) by chance': повстречать (кого - perfective, transitive). It is most often found in Russian fairy tales, poetry, etc.

Шёл он, шёл и повстречал зайца.

Повстречался ему медведь.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.