How to describe a successful action of a player in a national team that would start a relatively long period of success for that team?

For example,

И тут он забил гол, тем самым начав подъём российского футбола.

"Начав подьём" doesn't sit right with me.

up vote 4 down vote accepted

For your example my suggestion is

И тут он забил гол, тем самым дав толчок/старт подъёму российского футбола.

or you can express the idea in a roundabout way

И тут он забил гол, ставший/который стал началом возрождения российского футбола

И тут он забил гол, после которого/вслед за которым началось возрождение российского футбола

But for the situation you've described, which is different from the one represented by the actual example, положить начало fits perfectly

Забитый им финальный гол положил начало серии побед команды на чемпионате.

Grammatically, everything is fine. As far as style, I believe положить начало чему-либо is better:

И тут он забил гол, тем самым положив начало подъёму российского футбола.

It will have the meaning of the scorer laying the symbolic foundation for the rise of Russian football.

• Can you, please, try to come up with something more dynamic than "laying the foundation"? I need something more like a "kickstart". – brilliant Dec 3 at 6:07
  • @brilliant How about "запустив подъём"? From "запускать" meaning to launch. – user75619 Dec 3 at 6:16
  • "запустив" sounds great! But does it go along well with "подъём"? – brilliant Dec 3 at 6:58
  • @brilliant запускают usually процесс, but the construction запустить процесс подъёма sounds very clunky and simply unidiomatic – Баян Купи-ка Dec 3 at 7:30
  • @БаянКупи-ка you can easily find "запустили подъём курса рубля" or "запустили подъём российского производства" or "запустили подъём экономики" – user75619 Dec 3 at 7:56

IMO, a conclusion about the long-term meaning of such a fact comes to minds after a while. For that reason, the idea that somebody started a new epoch by kicking a ball doesn't sound too natural. I'd try to change the sentence like this:

И тут он забил гол, с которым позже стали связывать начало подъёма в развитии российского футбола.

• "стали связывать начало подъём" - Why would somebody need to start tying up the beginning??? – brilliant Dec 3 at 8:31
    @brilliant Not literally. Linking one with the other, connecting, associating, attributing etc. – user75619 Dec 3 at 8:53

..., и этим начал череду успешных выступлений команды...

..., с которого начался взлёт {отечественного футбола}.

(успешное выступление команды) ознаменовало новую волну возрождения российского футбола

(успехи сборной на чемпионате) вдохновили команду на новые победы/российских футболистов на новые достижения

забил гол, ставший первой ласточкой новой весны российского футбола ("первая ласточка" is an idiom)

And miscellaneous. I am under the impression that the larger half of expressions to describe this phenomenon are not idioms and can be translated from your first language. Think of a proper metaphor.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.