Чтобы ты управляла лодкой? Еще чего! Ты еще не в силах справиться с ней в одиночку!

In conversation, I sometimes use an incomplete "чтобы" subordinate clause like this to express an element of surprise -- as an equivalent of "To think that ... !" or something along those lines.

Now I'm wondering how far it can go with its incompleteness. Is it common to drop even a verb, with the aid of an ellipsis? Is virtually any wording possible, as long as there is an ellipsis?

Я знал, что он честолюбец, но чтобы настолько...

All in all, how (else) do native speakers use these incomplete "чтобы" clauses?

• A popular cliche is Чтоб я ... - then follows some verb, exclamation, etc (used as question). Another expression Чтоб я так жил is probably a meme already - but this is affirmation, not doubt, so it's another category.
    – alexsms
    Dec 18 '18 at 6:39
  • «Прибежала бабушка, заохала, даже заплакала, смешно ругая меня: – Ах ты, пермяк, солёные уши! Чтоб тебя приподняло да шлёпнуло!» М.Горький
    – Elena
    Dec 18 '18 at 17:13

Yes, in colloquial speech, almost everything can be dropped from the sentence (assuming there is a context that can fill in the meaning).

"Чтобы ты? Управляла лодкой? Еще чего!"

But you do have to use at least one word as a focal point to express the surprise ("настолько", "ты" etc.)

When used for cursing it can be shortened almost to nothing: "[Да] чтоб ты!" which is shortened form of "[Да] чтоб ты [сдох | света белого не видел | жил на одну зарплату | ...]!".

Some variants of the omitted sentence parts for your examples:

Чтобы ты управляла лодкой? Еще чего!

[You want me to agree] that you'll control the boat? No way!

[You want me to believe] that you'd controlled the boat? No way!

Я знал, что он честолюбец, но чтобы настолько...

I knew he was a status seeker, but [did not expect] that [he's] so [...].

All in all, how (else) do native speakers use these incomplete "чтобы" clauses?

Это он сделал. Чтобы мне под землю провалиться! = It is him who did it. I swear I am telling the truth. Literally: May I fall to below ground (if I am lying).

Почему еще не готово? Чтобы к завтра работу закончил! = Why is it not ready? Finish the work by tomorrow!

Не то чтобы он такой злодей внутри, он лишь цинично действует в своих интересах. = It is not that he is such a badass in his soul - he just cynically does what is in his interests.

Ну у него и дворец! Чтоб я так жил! = What a palace of his! I wish I had the same lifestyle.

Да чтоб тебя! = Damn you!

Чтобы всё у тебя было хорошо! = May you do well.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.