In English, you say "some ..., while others ...", when comparing just two groups of people. And when the third group is thrown into the mix, you add "still" or "yet" to "others":

Some people do X, others do Y, still/yet others do Z.

The same construction applies to the German equivalent as well:

Manche von uns {Some of us} ..., andere {others} ..., wieder andere {again others} ...

What is a commonly used phrase in Russian for the third group "still others"?

In Russian you can say "одни", "другие", "третьи" and so on for some particular groups and "остальные" for "the rest". E.g. "одни пьют виски, другие текилу, третьи ром, а остальные - водку".

• Hi. What if the third group is the last of the bunch? "одни пьют виски, другие текилу, а остальные - водку"? And is it necessary to place a dash after "остальные"? Dec 22 '18 at 19:31
    I'm not sure I'd agree. "The rest" implies that you have now created an exhaustive list of what people drink, while "still others" doesn't.
    – Daniel B
    Dec 22 '18 at 20:43

I don't think there is a word which would work exactly like English "yet" when used with другие in Russian.

Usually it's conveyed by using кто with each group, optionally replacing it with а кто и for the last one:

Кому поп, кому попадья, а кому и попова дочка.

Кто верит в Магомета, кто — в Аллаха, кто — в Исуса, кто ни во что не верит — даже в чёрта, назло всем.

• What's your take on "Кто-то ..., кто-то ..., а кто-то ..."? Dec 23 '18 at 9:03
    @Con-gras-tue-les-chiens: this would work too, especially with the past tense.
    – Quassnoi
    Dec 23 '18 at 9:29

In these Cornell's lyrics from Be Yourself I would translate each "someone" and "another" as "кто-то":

Someone falls to pieces sleeping all alone Someone kills the pain Spinning in the silence She finally drifts away Someone gets excited in a chapel yard Catches a bouquet Another lays a dozen White roses on a grave

Someone finds salvation in everyone, another only pain Someone tries to hide himself, down inside himself he prays Someone swears his true love until the end of time, another runs away Separate or united, healthy or insane

That being said, in most cases "одни", "другие" and "a кто-то [ещё]" will work.

I would personally go with ещё кто-то: https://context.reverso.net/перевод/русский-английский/А+еще+кто-то

I'd just use некоторые multiple times, to be honest.

Некоторые из нас пьют виски, некоторые пьют пиво, а некоторые пьют вино.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.