I got this a message from my friend with the following photo in which it says: "

Новый год уже совсем близко... Пусть Новогодняя сказка станет явью, а все мечты исполнятся.

As I understand it says:

The new year is quite close, let the new year fairy tales become reality and all dreams come true.

My questions about it are two:

1) What's the pronunciation of явью? (Yavyu or Yivu? two different local people told me two different pronunciations)

2) Why does it use "a" instead of "и" (=and)?

enter image description here

• please, tend to ask one question per post
    – shabunc
    Jan 1, 2019 at 11:19
  • whoever told you yivu is a dirty liar )))
    – shabunc
    Jan 1, 2019 at 13:38
    @shabunc: this or they might have confused it with наяву
    – Quassnoi
    Jan 1, 2019 at 22:01

2 Answers 2

Right pronunciation of word "явью" is [ˈjævjʊ].

The conjunction "a" among others has two meanings: "but" and "and". It can be used in meaning "and" when we need to show the heterogeneity described in the two connected sentences. Compare:

Пусть Новогодняя сказка станет явью и все мечты - тоже!

и

Пусть Новогодняя сказка станет явью, а все мечты исполнятся!

The first sentence implies that both parts of a complex sentence are about becoming a reality:

Пусть Новогодняя сказка станет явью и все мечты тоже [станут явью]!

In the second sentence, the first part is about fairy tales, and second - about dreams, and in that sentence fairy tales become a reality, but dreams will come true (come true, not become to reality). So we use "a" instead of "и".

But if you use "и" in your sample, it won't be mistake. It will be just a slight change in the tone of the phrase.

The pronunciation of явью is [ˈjävʲjʊ].

А is used instead of и because the other clause starts with a noun and has a different verb.

Should the sentence be put this way:

Пусть станет явью новогодняя сказка, и исполнятся все мечты!

, it would have been used with и

Здесь (ru.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D1%8F%D0%B2%D1%8C) предлагают использовать "æ" при записи произношения первого слога. Jan 1, 2019 at 0:34
  • @IvanOlshansky: you can use it like that if you really pronounce the в fully palatalized. Most people speaking Moscow dialect don't (i.e. they pronounce something closer to явъю, with a harder в)
    – Quassnoi
    Jan 1, 2019 at 0:56
  • @IvanOlshansky The Wikipedia article for æ (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-open_front_unrounded_vowel) has several examples of its pronunciation, and the example for "пять" doesn't sound similar to any other example on that page, for me at least. Is it merely psychological that native Russian speakers hear [æ] between soft consonants as [a], or is it really [a] or [ä] sound in that position?
    – Joker_vD
    Jan 1, 2019 at 16:45
  • @Joker_vD, To be honest, different people say it in different ways. Jan 1, 2019 at 17:55
    @Joker_vD: So answering your question, Russian speakers hear /я/ when their ears receive [æ] between two soft consonants, and they hear an off-key, distorted /я/ when their ears receive [a] in the same position, between two soft consonants.
    – Quassnoi
    Jan 1, 2019 at 20:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.