In conversation, I just said:

Именно. Так мы сможем получить столько средств, сколько нам хватит. Никто еще не додумался до этого. Это же гениально!

Leaving aside the question of stylistic awkwardness, if I want to replace "еще" with "до этого" in the sense of "раньше", can I say:

Никто до этого не додумался до этого. (=== Никто до этого не додумался раньше.)

The "до этого" placed at the end of the sentence in my original phrasing is related to "додуматься", whereas in the paraphrased version, the "до этого" at the end -- despite taking the same position -- is meant as "раньше".

You can't because до этого must refer to a point in the past. In other words, you can only use it to say "no-one had thought of this before", not "no-one has thought of this before". If it was part of a story you were narrating, though, you could, if only as a kind of formalist whimsy.

Никто до этого не додумался до этого. (=== Никто до этого не додумался раньше.)

Actually, it's the first до этого that parses as "before"; I can't quite put my finger on why, but it's very unusual for the "before" до этого to go to the end of the sentence — much like you wouldn't end a sentence with еще unless you wanted it to mean "more".

| improve this answer | |

No, avoid this ambiguous reduplication here.

Better say

Никто до сих пор не додумался до этого.

Or, if you want to mention a person

Никто до него/них (ещё) не додумался до этого.

Having two "до этого" in one sentence is not advised, because one of them will mean a point in time, while the other - an object of discussion.

While this still allows the sentence to be understood, which one of the two "до этого" will mean a point in time will depend on the reader almost entirely, as that sentence structure has no guides either way, which is why going this route is not advised - this would just be confusing to the reader, slowing down their comprehension.

As a rule of thumb, I try always to not have any duplicating words precisely because of this.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.